"Faith is doing the right thing, and keeping on doing the right thing, even when the right thing is not happening to you."

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Are Those Remarks Unintentional?

I was amazed at how some people can simply blurt out remarks that are directed personally to one's race. I remembered having this conversation with a student mate that day and i did not know how to react towards that.

Apparently, she was browsing through my pictures that I had over the internet and she saw me in this Traditional Malay costume. Her comments are strange. She mentioned to me that I had a "Malay Look". Perhaps this is just a normal comment made to others but it simply makes me think whether she meant it otherwise. Well, for sure, she has an Indian blood in her. I respect that indeed but having to hear comments just annoys me. What does she mean by saying that I have a Malay look? I am pretty proud about my Malay origins and what if I say she has a typical Indian look? Does that sound racists? Does that really matter if one mention about the racial origins when comes to personal facial comments?

Well, I am sure she didnt mean harm to it. It might mean that I fit in well when comes to wearing the Malay Traditional Costume. I may look photogenic in some extent. Oh well, I shall take that comment as something positive. As long as it does not sound racist to me because she is a good friend of mine, I am pretty contented. Like I used to blog before, there's not glory in discrimination one's race. It's simply a backward mentality.

No comments: