"Faith is doing the right thing, and keeping on doing the right thing, even when the right thing is not happening to you."

Friday, June 15, 2007

Poor Customer Service

I had an interesting experience these past few weeks during my holidays. Of course, despite having a super long break from studying, I have decided to stay in Singapore instead of going on tour to other countries.

Being me of course, shopping is what I love to do sometimes especially when my piggy bank is full. To shop in the Great Singapore Sale is a must. Let me see, I bought two long sleeve shirts at Celio and TopMan, one short sleeve shirt at Gap, a couple of shorts and lots of tshirts at Isetan and countless other stuffs that I cannot even remember buying at which location.

It seems fun but I have always believed in Customer Service when I shop for something. For instance, if you happen to be in a shop and u found some items that you are currently interested in, you most probably look for the sales personnel and inquire more about the items before purchasing it. This is where I or rather all of us will expect to have from the Sales Person, to provide good customer service. Apparently not all Sales Personnel are capable of doing that.

I had this irritating experience two days ago at Far East Plaza, Singapore. I will not mention the shop name but it is located at second floor. I was browsing through some of the long sleeve shirts there with my classmates, Salleh and Fazlee, when the shop sales man, came along and touted me rigorously. He was saying that all the clothes there consists of many different sizes repeatedly and keep asking which shirt do I want to guess without even letting me choose. The best part was when he decided to inform me whether I was aware of the cost of the shirt. I looked at him with anger. What does he mean by that? I ask him how much does this shirt cost and he replied that it costs around $89. Appalled by the cost, I wanted to laugh at him. I thought that the shirts there are expensive and are costing around $200 per shirt. I was angered further when I realized that the Sales Personnel did not even ask other customers. Immediately, I realized that I have been a victim of discrimination again.
Now, was it my colour that let him think that I do not have money to buy clothes? Or was it my appearance in jeans and t shirt that let him think otherwise? I went out of the shop of course without buying anything. However, I left an impression in the shop by showing them my credit cards. For once, I felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Of course, this is the male version. :-)

Has the world gone insanely obsessive with money and materials? Do people respect others by looking at how they wear? Imagine if I was in my executive clothes, I am confident that I will not face such horrendous treatment. Or if I am of a different colour perhaps? Maybe I am making assumptions.

Whatever it is, if any shop sales personnel give me poor customer service in the near future, I will definitely walk away and not buy it at all although the items are very appealing to my eyes and I wanted it badly. Good Customer Service will win my spending in the near future. Too bad, some of them didnt realize that.

No comments: